Family Escape House Fire In Weymouth
10:31am 6th August 2013
(Updated 2:38pm 6th August 2013)
A family from Weymouth have escaped a serious house fire this morning with only seconds to spare.
Two crews from Weymouth and a crew from Dorchester were called to the blaze at Nuthatch Close in Littlemoor.
The fire started in the longue of the house just after 7am this morning.
There were no working smoke alarms so by the time the family woke up the fire had developed significantly.
The family had to walk past the flames to escape, which were so hot they melted the front door.
It's believed the fire was started by an electrical fault.
Station Manager Stuart Jeneson, who attended this incident said: : "I am very keen to remind people that having a working smoke alarm in your house, that you test once a week, could save your life.
Getting into a good bedtime routine and closing internal doors around the house will also give you extra time to escape, if a fire occurs. It's also really important to have an escape plan for the property and make sure everyone knows how they would escape if a fire occurred."