Large Fire At Swanage Recycling Centre Accidental
7:55am 3rd September 2013
(Updated 1:32pm 3rd September 2013)
A fire that broke out at a Swanage Recycling Centre overnight could've been started by a cigarette or barbecue coals in household waste.
3 skips were on fire when crews arrived at around 3am this morning (Tuesday 3rd September).
15 tonnes of waste was destroyed.
The Dorset Waste Partnership has assisted fire chiefs with an investigation into the cause, which is now thought to be accidental.
Station Manager at Dorset Fire and Rescue Louis Minkella told Wessex FM, they'll probably never know how it started.
"There are several reasons why it could have started. We have to remind people about the safe disposal of disposable barbecues because just one coal from there can start a fire. It could have even been a cigarette. On this occasion we don't know to be fair. Even discarded batteries could've started it."
The centre is closed until further notice and will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so. The nearest household recycling centre is at Westminster Road in Wareham.