Young Father Dies From Accidental Overdose Of Drugs Bought Online
6:11pm 28th May 2014
(Updated 6:15pm 28th May 2014)
The heartbroken fiancée of a Weymouth man who took an accidental overdose of a drug he bought online is warning of the dangers of easily accessible medication.
36-year-old father of one, Daniel Butcher had his leg amputated after an accident at work in 2011 and was self-medicating for pain relief.
In January this year Daniel's partner Shari Newman found him unconscious on his bed. He'd choked on his vomit which had caused his brain to be starved of Oxygen.
He'd taken Methoxetamine which he'd bought online because he was allergic to opiates and struggled to manage his pain, but his forgetfulness caused by his accident meant he often doubled up on doses.
At an inquest into his death at Dorchester Crown Court (28 May) Coroner Sherriff Payne recorded a narrative verdict, saying Daniel had not intended to take his life but had misjudged the amount of drug he'd taken.
Shari, 35, said: "We are still desperately struggling to come to terms with Daniel's death - it's hard to believe he's not coming back.
"He knew he was lucky to be alive after the fall and wanted so much to have a good quality of life and provide for me and Alfie. He chose to have the amputation as he knew it would mean less infection and hospital appointments.
"But he struggled to manage his pain due to his allergy and it was very hard watching him suffer. I'll never forget finding him in bed and feeling so helpless as I knew he had gone.
"These drugs should not be available over the internet and more should be done to raise awareness of the huge risks that come with taking them. Anyone can buy them which is very worrying and it is clear more needs to be done to regulate this industry.