Sea Food Alert Remains In Force
9:15am 7th June 2014
We're being warned not to eat particular molluscs self-harvested off the Dorset Coast.
Weymouth Port's Health Authority say many types of the shellfish still contain harmful algae toxins.
Just over 2 weeks ago the health authority confirmed certain types of molluscs, mainly scallops, had been found to have a harmful toxin, making them unsafe to eat.
It's being blamed on an algal bloom in the English Channel.
Weymouth Port health Authority have given an update on the situation saying it's still "ongoing" with scallop toxins over the permitted level.
However, samples that they've shucked under controlled conditions have been ok to eat.
Chair of Weymouth Port Health Committee Cllr Paul Kimber said: "This ASP event is the first one of notable toxicity which has occurred off the south coast since records started.
We have therefore had to set up an information network and agreed protocols to deal with it, such that the public are protected and the scalloping industry suffers the minimum of disruption.
"Casual gatherers of any type of bivalve molluscs (clams, oysters, mussels, scallops etc) currently picked up off the Dorset coast are warned that they could still contain harmful toxin levels , although it is scallops that are the species of particular concern."