ON AIR DAVE GOULDEN

No Doubt: It's My LifeiTunes

Wessex FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01305 250333

Burns Victim Warns Campers To Use The Right Equipment

Camping BBQ Safety

11:53am 10th July 2014

A young woman who suffered major burns after an accident involving a gas stove at Camp Bestival at Lulworth Castle last summer is warning other people to make sure they follow the safety guidelines.

Georgina Chalmers was using an old gas canister to cook with which didn't have a safety valve.

It caught alight and exploded, burning her and her friend.

"I had 28% burns.  I had to be whisked away in a helicopter.  I had surgery in Bristol then was transferred to another hospital where I had more surgery.  I was in hospital for two weeks and off work for six weeks."

Georgina is urging other people to make sure they use the proper equipment with a safety valve.

"Anyone, if you are camping, if you are going to festivals, even if you are doing a BBQ in the garden, please use something with a safety valve.  And if you've got old equipment, please throw it away.  It's just not worth it."

For information on how to stay fire safe while camping - CLICK HERE.

Sign up for the latest local news direct to your inbox


Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious
brewery square clock

brewery square clock

The Wessex Word

See the latest wrong guesses and win cash!

The Bun Run

Request the cakes for your workplace!

Book Your Table

For sales in January and March

Free Fuel Friday

Find out how to get your car sticker

Dorset Webcams

Take a look around our beautiful county

Book our Disco

Have DJ Owen at your party or celebration!

Meeting Room Hire

Come to Wessex FM for your meeting or conference

Close

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.