Wessex FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01305 250333

Safety Warning At Camp Bestival

Camp Bestival

7:57am 1st August 2014

Campers are reminded to take care when cooking after an incident at Camp Bestival last year.

Purbeck District Council is making a plea to festival goers after a women was airlifted to a specialist burns unit in August 2013.

The Council is reminding campers of the dangers of using cooking stove gas cylinders and has put together some steps to have a safe summer.

Laura Brewer, Public Health Manager at Purbeck District Council explained to Wessex FM why they have put together the safety steps.

''We wanted to remind festival-goers of the unfortunate accident which took place at last years Camp Bestival festival where one of the campers was caught up in an explosion which was caused by a gas canister she was using to cook in her tent.

''We thought it was appropriate as our role with regards to health and safety to remind festival-goers that there is a risk of these type of canisters and to provide them with some general rules and some good advice about how to use them safely.''

She also told Wessex FM how to avoid the dangers.

''The problem that happened last year is the gas cylinder didn't have a safety valve which meant when it was pierced it exploded whereas if there's a safety valve any gas can be released, that's the issue we're trying to raise.''

Sign up for the latest local news direct to your inbox

Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious

The Bun Run

Request the cakes for your workplace!

Book Your Table

For sales in January and March

Free Fuel Friday

Find out how to get your car sticker

Dorset Webcams

Take a look around our beautiful county

Book our Disco

Have DJ Owen at your party or celebration!

Meeting Room Hire

Come to Wessex FM for your meeting or conference


We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.