Bus Fares Going Up In A Week's Time
9:03am 3rd January 2015
From next Saturday (10 January) we'll be seeing fares on some of our First Wessex Bus journeys go up.
Bus users in Weymouth, Portland and Dorchester will be hit the hardest by the changes on First Wessex's services with some single and return fares going up by 50p.
The big increases includes the Weymouth to Dorchester route which will rise for a adult single from three pounds fifty to four pounds while a return on the same route will also go up to four pounds fifty.
But First Wessex claims the changes will be reinvested into the service and that the majority of weekly and monthly tickets will be unchanged.
Here's the list of the planned changes:
- The introduction of a new Weymouth zone 10 trip mTicket via the First app on mobile phones for £15, equivalent to £1.50 per journey.
- Prices of First Week and FirstMonth Weymouth, Weymouth Plus and Dorset tickets will remain unchanged.
- Also unchanged will be the Portland Week ticket.
- The new adult single in the Weymouth area will rise 20p to £2 but the return ticket will be frozen at £3.
- The Weymouth to Portland adult single will go up by 30p to £2.50 with the return is frozen at £3.50.
- The Weymouth to Dorchester adult single will rise by 50p to £3.50 with a similar increase on the return to £4.50.
- The adult single from Portland to Dorchester will go up to £4.50 from £4, with an equivalent rise on the adult return from £5 to £5.50.
- There will be equivalent rises on child single and return fares with a minimal rise on Dorchester to Weymouth journeys.
- Country fares will rise around 50p on adult singles and adult return, while long distance journeys will go up £1 for both adult singles and adult returns.
Matthew Callow, Commercial Manager for First in Dorset, explained: " We regret having to increase fares on some of our services. However, I can assure our customers that changes to fares will be reinvested in the business. We are planning to introduce even more modern vehicles in 2015, adding to our £2.7 million investment in First's Dorset fleet in 2014.
"I am pleased that we have been able to hold fares in Yeovil at their current level and to have added a new 10 trip Weymouth zone mTicket, bought through the First app on mobile phones. This will offer journeys for just £1.50 instead of £2. This again demonstrates that bus travel remains a very convenient and cost-effective means of getting about Dorset."