Chimney Fire Alert
6:43am 19th January 2015
Dorset Fire and Rescue are renewing their warnings about the dangers of chimney fires.
It follows the latest incidents this weekend when firefighters from Swanage had to tackle such a blaze at Studland.
A crew from Bridport were called to Foxglove Way to a chimney fire yesterday afternoon caused by a birds nest in the chimney.
DFRS say chimneys should be swept at least once a year when using smokeless fuels or bituminous coal, every three months when using wood and once a year when using oil or gas.
It continues, 'Make sure you are not at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning by having appliances installed and serviced by competent engineers, never block air bricks, vents or flues and fit a carbon monoxide detector.
Don’t use flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin to light your fire. Don’t burn paper or rubbish, do not overload the fire with fuel and go into the loft occasionally, when the fire is alight, to check for smoke from cracks, defective brickwork or mortar joints.