Wessex FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01305 250333

Camping Stove Sparks House Fire

Camp Stove

8:50am 31st August 2012

We're being reminded that camping equipment should NOT be used in the home after an elderly couple in Puddletown had a lucky escape.

Because they had no electricity, they took a camping stove INDOORS.

Station Commander for Dorchester, Steve Cheeseman said: "The elderly couple inside this property woke up to find they had no electricity. They brought in a camping stove and when they started to use it a fire developed at the top of the cylinder near the hose. Their neighbours responded to their cries for help and dragged the stove outside. Although we would never advise anyone to touch a burning cylinder, this action undoubtedly stopped the fire from spreading.

"Dorset Fire and Rescue Service advice is that camping equipment should never be used indoors. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have working smoke alarms on all levels of your home and that these are tested weekly. If there is a fire get out, stay out and call the fire service out."

 

Sign up for the latest local news direct to your inbox


Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious
brewery square clock

brewery square clock

The Wessex Word

See the latest wrong guesses and win cash!

The Bun Run

Request the cakes for your workplace!

Book Your Table

For sales in January and March

Free Fuel Friday

Find out how to get your car sticker

Dorset Webcams

Take a look around our beautiful county

Book our Disco

Have DJ Owen at your party or celebration!

Meeting Room Hire

Come to Wessex FM for your meeting or conference

Close

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.