Protect Your Family With A Carbon Monoxide Detector
8:32am 13th September 2012
The latest safety message from Dorset Fire and Rescue is "A carbon monoxide detector is just as important as a smoke alarm".
The service is urging people around Dorchester, Weymouth and Bridport to install one, saying it could save lives.
It's all part of their on-going Gas Safety Week initiative.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal. Sources of the gas can include cookers, heaters and fire places. Carbon Monoxide poisoning kills 40 people and injures and further 300 every year in the UK.
Linzi Holt, Head of Prevention at Dorset Fire and Rescue said: "Carbon Monoxide is an extremely poisonous gas, which does kill. Fitting an approved CO alarm in your home will give you an early warning that Carbon Monoxide is present. It should be tested regularly, and if it activates you should evacuate immediately."
She added: "The most common symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, tiredness and nausea. These symptoms are often mistaken for flu, viruses of even food poisoning."
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service has some simple messages for preventing CO poisoning in your home:
- Make sure appliances are installed and maintained by a professional
- Keep chimney flues free from blockages
- Ensure your home has enough ventilation and airbricks are not blocked.
- Fit and regularly test a Carbon Monoxide alarm approved to BS EN 50291
- If your alarm activates, or you suspect there is Carbon Monoxide in the air, evacuate everyone outside to fresh air.
- Go to your doctor or in an emergency call for an ambulance.