Dorchester's Military Museum Gets Makeover
1:46pm 26th September 2012
The Keep Military Museum in Dorchester is having a face lift over the next six months.
For the first time in 133 years, mortar on three faces of the Grade 11 listed building is being replaced, using the exact same mixture it was built with.
The mix for the mortar is very specific. It has to be 1 part singleton birch lime putty, 1.25 parts Corfe Mullen sand, 1 part Morton Cullimore sand and 0.25 parts coal ash.
But despite the scaffolding its business as usual and you're still able to visit the tourist attraction on Bridport Road.
Curator Colin Parr says: "Despite the occasional noise of the hammer drill it's business as usual for us. The work is very important for the integrity of the building. We're very lucky to spend time in this wonderful place and we're determined to look after it so that future generations can appreciate it, along with the splendid military heritage of both Dorset and Devon."
FACTS ABOUT THE KEEP
The Keep was built in 1879. It was designed to look like a Medieval Castle and was Gatehouse for the Depot Barracks of the Dorsetshire Regiment as well as the County Armoury.
The Depot Barracks was the administrative centre of the Dorsetshire Regiment and also the centre for recruitment and training.
Today the Keep, still owned by the MOD, it is the only Military Museum for the regiments of Devon and Dorset.
The building houses thousands of original exhibits and is a regular port of call for researchers and genealogists.