Summer Of Sport Coming To Weymouth
9:35am 4th July 2013
(Updated 9:58am 4th July 2013)
A Festival of Sport coming to Weymouth this summer will have a day of activities for people with disabilities.
The special day will pay tribute to the Paralympic Games that came to Weymouth and Portland last year.
The event hosted by Weymouth & Portland Borough Council and partners takes place from Saturday 27th July to Monday 5th August and will also include a two day sports arena, team sports day, fun day, Battens Charity Volleyball Championship, RAF Volleyball Classic and fireworks.
Chris Rice, Director of Enterprise and Marketing at Weymouth College, said: "We're delighted to be a part of the wider Dorset Festival of Sports as we look to build upon the legacy of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. We're keen to encourage as much of our local community to pursue an active lifestyle and take advantage of the amazing facilities we have on our doorstep."
Residents and visitors of the Festival will also see the return of one of last year's biggest successes the Ambassadors, who will be giving out information over the ten day event.
The programme of events happening during the ten day festival are:
- 27 and 28 July: Residents and visitors are being invited to have a go at a number of different sports on Weymouth Beach including beach volleyball, beach tennis, table tennis as well as kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding taster sessions provided by Ecover The Blue Mile and a mobile skate park on the Weymouth Pavilion forecourt for scooters and BMX bikes
- 29 July: To pay tribute to the Paralympic Games, a Disability Beach Festival will be happening on Weymouth Beach including seated volleyball and boccia
- 30 July: Youth football and rugby day. People will be able to watch youth football and rugby teams play throughout the day on Weymouth Beach.
- 31 July: Weymouth College Summer of Fun - day of water sports and youth team sports, such as rugby and football, along with a range of cultural activities including music, dance, theatre workshops and sand castle making by Weymouth College staff and students.
- 1 to 4 August: The 30th RAF Weymouth Beach Classic championship. Top players from around Britain and Europe will take part in this exciting men’s and women’s 2-a-side sport.
- 1 August: Battens Charity Volleyball Championship
- 5 August: Fireworks display on Weymouth Beach
For more information go to www.visit-dorset.com