School Hall Set To Re-Open After Fire
6:56am 20th September 2013
(Updated 10:26pm 24th September 2013)
After a fire burnt down an entire school hall near Bridport two years ago, Powerstock Primary is getting ready to officially reopen its doors again.
The blaze which completely destroyed Powerstock's school hall made National News headlines and was blamed on an electrical fault in the main school building.
Since 2011 staff and pupils have had to use mobile classrooms and the village hall for lessons. However, after raising money, getting planning permission, and a lot of building work Powerstock Primary School will be ready to reopen it's doors and re-use it's hall from Wednesday the 2nd of October.
There will be an official re-opening at 2.15pm and the school say everyone is welcome to attend and take a look around the new school.
We spoke to the Headteacher, Jean-Paul Draper, who said the last two years had been tough, "There were moments when it felt like it wasn't going to happen, it's taken a long process to fight for the extra money, going through the planning process- but we've been really supported all the way along. It's one of those things when you believe in what you're going to do and you just, eyes down, and you keep going."
He said it had not all been a negative experience, "There were lots of burnt bits of charcoal from the rafters and one of my lasting memories is having all of Keystage Two children on the playground drawing their burnt out school, but with real bits of charcoal from the roof. It was actually a really positive moment, because lots of things were destroyed, but no one was hurt."