Wessex FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 01305 250333

DFRS Supporting Gas Safety Week

DFRS Supporting Gas Safety Week

12:03am 22nd September 2013

Dorset Fire and Rescue's been throwing its weight behind Gas Safety week.

In the last year more than 300 people have been injured in gas related incidents and 4 people lost their lives.

Dorset Fire Fighters say accidents are mainly caused by badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances.

They're also encouraging us to get carbon monoxide alarms fitted in our homes.

They released these simple messages for preventing Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your home:
-Make Sure your appliances are installed and maintained by a professional.
-Keep chimney flues free from blockages.
-Ensure your home has enough ventilation and airbricks are not blocked.
-Fit and regularly test a Carbon Monoxide alarm approved to BS EN 50291.
-If your alarm activates, or you suspect there is Carbon Monoxide in the air, evacuate everyone outside to fresh air.
-Go to your doctor or in an emergency call for an ambulance.

Kate Huelin, Prevention Manager at Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: "WE would particularly like to remind Dorset residents about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide. It is an extremely poisonous gas, which does kill. Fitting an approved CO alarm in your home will give you an early warning that Carbon Monoxide is present. It should be tested regularly, and if it activates you should evacuate immediately".

Sign up for the latest local news direct to your inbox

Share This Story

Delicious Submit this page to reddit

dorset business directory

The Wessex Word

See the latest wrong guesses and win cash!

Win M&S Vouchers

Thanks to the new Ignis from Lanehouse Suzuki

The Bun Run

Request the cakes for your workplace!

Book The Wessex FM Disco

For your wedding, party or celebration!

Dorset Webcams

Take a look around our beautiful county

Meeting Room Hire

Come to Wessex FM for your meeting or conference