Dorset Smokers Urged To Quit For Christmas
9:38am 27th November 2013
Smokers in Dorset are being encouraged to kick the habit and save some extra money for Christmas this year.
The message comes from Smokefree South West who say quitting can save you an average of £150 a month.
According to the latest estimates over 100,000 people are smokers in Dorset.
Fiona Andrews, Director of Smokefree South West said: "People are still feeling the effects of the recession but their children will expect top presents and a roast with all the trimmings so something has to give.”
"Smoking is certainly an expensive habit to have, and stopping smoking in the months leading up to Christmas could make all the difference to the family budget.”
"Not only will it help towards the cost of Christmas, but it will also help children and families to stay fit and healthy."
Those thinking of quitting can find free support and advice from their local stop smoking service and if they stop now will enjoy the benefits of four weeks of not smoking before Christmas.
Fiona added: "Christmas is a time when families spend quality time together, but this increases the chance that children may be exposed to passive smoking, so our message is if you do smoke, to take it outside to protect your family.
"Over 80% of second-hand smoke is invisible, and every day millions of children in the UK are still exposed to smoke which puts them at risk of health problems."
Here are ten reasons why quitting smoking this Christmas could be the perfect present for you and your family:
1. You will enjoy your Christmas dinner more- quitting smoking will give you improved smell and taste
2. You'll feel better- kicking the habit will reduce your risk of blindness, cancer, heart and lung disease
3. You'll look younger- quitting will begin to reverse the signs of ageing within two weeks
4. Your friends and family will be protected from passive smoking
5. You'll save money
6. You are five times more likely to quit successfully if you approach your local stop smoking service to help you achieve your goal
7. You will have more energy- within 2-12 weeks of stopping smoking your circulation will improve, making physical activity easier
8. You'll appear a better candidate to your employer- you'll cost them less in smoking breaks and days off
9. Your home and car will smell fresh
10. Children whose parents smoke are twice as likely to begin smoking as teenagers