LISTEN: Condor on Future Plans in Weymouth
8:17am 10th June 2014
The Borough Council has told us they're working hard to keep Condor in Weymouth and they're looking at a number of options for the future.
The ferry operator is eyeing up a new vessel that wouldn't be suitable for their current berth at the town's port.
The Borough Council has already looked into the viability of moving sailings to Portland or even a new ferry operator who can replace them if they leave.
The Condor issue is to be "touched on" at today's Management Committee (Tuesday 10th June).
Management Committee Chairman Mike Byatt was keen to stress to us, that no decisions had been made yet and nothing is finalised and they're looking at new funding streams among other options.
Councillor Byatt also told us more meetings would be happening in the future and the Borough wants to come to a good long term decision that's the best for the Borough.
He also said they're hoping to speak to Condor soon to get some clarification and understand their position on the matter.
Condor's CEO James Fulford told Wessex FM, they want to stay in Weymouth:
"We've been in Weymouth for many decades. Its very important to us. We like being in Weymouth it is our preferred place and we're hopeful, having very constructive talks with the council, we're hopeful we can work together to secure a future in Weymouth."
"The ferry berth here doesn't belong to Condor, we just pay for the right to use it. So we're hopeful that the appropriate berthing facilities can be put on and we will be asked to pay our harbour dues to cover that investment for the years ahead."
You can listen to our full Interview with James Fulford by clicking below.