Spate Of Fires At Dorset Pubs

Spate Of Fires At Dorset Pubs

Published by The Wessex FM News Team at 12:52pm 7th January 2015.

THREE pubs in Dorset have all been the victim of fires caused by tumble dryers and washing machines in the last two weeks.

THREE pubs in Dorset have all been the victim of fires caused by tumble dryers and washing machines in the last two weeks.

Dorset Fire and Rescue are now issuing a special safety warning to commercial premises.

Fire Safety Officer, Graham Kewley said: "All commercial premises should take this opportunity to review their procedures and ensure their laundry machines are properly maintained."

"This includes cleaning them to remove lint and fluff on a regular basis and ensure that tumble dried items are cooled prior to being folded and stacked."

He added: "It is also important to ensure that a wash cycle is sufficient to remove any contaminants from washing prior to tumble drying as oil and grease residue can significantly increase the risk of self-heating and smouldering within fabrics."

"Having appropriate fire detection will also give the early warning necessary to ensure occupants are able to escape.  Fire doors to risk rooms should also be maintained to ensure that they contain any fire."

Further advice and guidance is available from the fire safety team 01305 252600 or businessadvice@dorsetfire.gov.uk

The Wessex FM Newsletter



POLL

What kind of vouchers would you like more of?

Days OutVote!
26%
Events & ShowsVote!
21%
Health & WellbeingVote!
14%
Hotel StaysVote!
18%
Meals OutVote!
21%