UPDATED: Nine Russian crew being looked after by sailor's charity

UPDATED: Nine Russian crew being looked after by sailor's charity

Published by Maria Greenwood at 6:52pm 26th November 2019. (Updated at 12:13pm 28th November 2019)

Nine Russian crew members are being looked after by the Sailor's Society after a ship was detained at Portland Port.

The maritime charity, which supports seafarers in crisis, is visiting the crew daily to make sure they have enough food and toiletries, and that they're able to contact their family.

The Society has an honorary chaplain based in the port to assist any sailors who are stranded or get into to difficulty.

Sandra Welsh, chief operating officer for the Society, said:

"We're working with the port, border force and police and are supporting the crew so that we can try to get the crew members repatriated home.

"Our chaplain based at Portland Port is visiting them every day to make sure their personal needs are met. And really importantly, he's taken on a WiFi modem so that they can contact home and let their family know how they are."

The Maritime & Coastguard Agency’s (MCA) survey and inspection team inspected the MV Jireh on today Tuesday (26th November).

The vessel was then been detained.

It's berthed at Portland Harbour having been towed in following a power failure.

Nine people are on board.

The vessel was also attended by Border Force and Port Health Authorities today. The ITF (The International Transport Workers’ Federation) is also aware.

CEO of the Portland Harbour Authority said:

“On Monday evening the captain of the MV Jireh requested entry to the port due to technical issues with his vessel and inclement weather.

"The port responded with permission to enter the harbour and the vessel was brought to a berth with the help of Quest Marine, arriving at berth at 02:15 on Tuesday.

"The vessel is now safely berthed in the port and her crew are being looked after by the port and Jonathan Bailiff of The Sailors’ Society.”  

In a statement to Wessex FM the MCA said:

"The vessel will remain under MCA detention until it achieves full compliance with merchant shipping regulations."

Border Force told Wessex FM they were assisted by Dorset Police.