How Much Is Your Local Councillor Getting In Allowances?
8:36am 29th August 2012
(Updated 8:40am 29th August 2012)
Do you want to know how much local politicians in Dorset are given each year in their basic allowances?
The Tax Payers Alliance has published a new online tool to allow you to find out just that about local councillors.
It shows that Dorset County Councillors get over £10,000 in basic allowances.
CLICK HERE to find out more.
The alliance has also revealed the highest and lowest paid councillors across the UK.
The councils paying the highest basic allowance to councillors (by type of authority) are:
- English County Council - Nottinghamshire - £12,906
- English Unitary Authority - Durham - £13,300
- English Metropolitan District - Birmingham - £16,267
- English Non-Metropolitan District - Bolsover - £9,902
- London Borough - Croydon - £11,239
- Welsh Council - Seven councils pay £13,868, namely Bridgend, Carmarthenshire, Conwy, Monmouthshire, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, and Vale of Glamorgan
- Scottish Council - Scottish Borders - £16,932
The councils paying the lowest basic allowance to councillors (by type of authority) are:
- English County Council - Northamptonshire - £7,086
- English Unitary Authority - Rutland - £3,860
- English Metropolitan District - Trafford - £6,352
- English Non-Metropolitan District - South Ribble - £1,500
- London Borough - Kingston - £7,528
- Welsh Council - Cardiff - £11,342
- Scottish Council - Clackmannanshire - £16,100.
The five biggest increases in the basic allowance between 2010-11 and 2011-12 were:
- Boston Borough Council: £2,378 to £3,052 - a 28 per cent increase
- Mid Devon District Council: £3,654 to £4,500 - a 23 per cent increase
- Slough Borough Council: £5,973 to £7,100 - a 19 per cent increase
- North Hertfordshire District Council: £3,798 to £4,500 - a 18 per cent increase
- Tunbridge Wells Borough Council: £4,730 to £5,279 - a 12 per cent increase
The five biggest decreases in the basic allowance between 2010-11 and 2011-12 were:
- Tewkesbury Borough Council: £8,850 to £7,200 - a decrease of 19 per cent
- Gedling Borough Council: £3,685 to £3,299 - a decrease of 10 per cent
- North Lincolnshire Council: £7,638 to £6,874 - a decrease of 10 per cent
- Three Rivers District Council: £5,090 to £4,581 - a decrease of 10 per cent
- Castle Point Borough Council: £3,550 to £3,195 - a decrease of 10 per cent