Purbeck Outlines Plan that'll Protect the Environment and Build New Housing
7:47am 16th November 2012
Hundreds of new affordable homes could be built on Purbeck and green land protected.
Councillors have adopted what's being called the Local Plan, a new strategy that acts as a formal guide to development in the district.
It basically makes it easier for them to say yes or no to planning applications that come through to them because they have a clear idea of what the area needs.
The Local Plan has been shaped by 7 years of public consultation and debate.
By adopting the Local Plan the Council is now able to:
* Make provision for over 700 affordable homes on allocated housing sites and by altering thresholds for infill development
* Expand food store provision in Swanage town centre, thereby protecting Wareham Middle School playing fields
* Allow some growth in rural communities to improve their self-sufficiency;
* Facilitate employment growth; and
* Continue to protect the very special characteristics of Purbeck that are so valuable to local people and businesses as well as visitors to our area.