Basketball - Tandoori Bandits Signing Off In Fury

Basketball - Tandoori Bandits Signing Off In Fury

Published at 7:07am 1st May 2012.

Weymouth Tandoori Bandits 79 - 55 Portsmouth Fury.

Weymouth Tandoori Bandits’ final trip of an up and down season saw them spend a wet April Friday evening in Portsmouth, playing Portsmouth Fury who has been a great adversary over the years. Games between the two sides have been physical, challenging, high scoring and enjoyable for many of season, both teams taking result from each other in the past.

This season’s reverse leg of this fixture saw the Bandits destroy the Fury 105-68, but Coach Che Osborne wasn’t expecting such an easy ride on their turf. Weymouth are fighting to end the season on a high and try and concrete fourth spot, where the Fury are trying to keep the heads out of the relegation positions, so a fight was on the cards.

Weymouth went into the fixture missing a couple of key players, veteran playmaker Brett Dunster and this seasons scoring machine Dzintars Kalkis but still looked strong.

The first quarter started with a quick pace, end to end for the first couple of offences, with only the Portsmouth side having the points to show for it, with a quick shake down on court the Tandoori Bandits turned themselves around and Carl Carter scoring from a well worked passing move in his first game back after injury, this then lead a series of good baskets from Canham and Manley to take the game back in their own hands. Big men Rich Camp and Matt Board also got the scoring fever weighing in with some very nicely worked inside moves. The quarter ended 20-12 to Weymouth.

Much the same in the second quarter, as it started and ended with three pointers from Chris Canham, in-between that the Bandits’ guard Julien Lawes showed his superior vision and passing, as he has all season long, setting up the vital plays and getting the ball to the likes of Manley and Giles Heaman to score. Portsmouth Fury at this point didn’t seem to have an answer to what Weymouth had to offer, the 1st half ended 44-27 to the Tandoori Bandits.

Portsmouth had a quick shuffle in the third, and came out and subdued the Weymouth side for a couple of minutes, even though they stopped the Weymouth scoring, the Bandits refused to give away easy points to them, forcing them outside for some long range efforts, some of which paid off. Che Osborne called in a time out, made the subs and sent the Bandits back out with more confidence; Weymouth ended the 3rd quarter matching the Portsmouth Fury in scoring. During the quarter enthusiastic guard Giles Heaman showed his rise in confidence and form playing up from Weymouth Cowboys scoring vital basketballs from inside and outside of the 3 point arch.

The final quarter brought in a new feeling of relaxed play from Weymouth. Another returnee from injury Ben Stokey started to shine, defensively with some strong athletic rebounds and offensively a good turn around jump shot. The Game ended 79-55 to Weymouth Tandoori Bandits.

Coach Che Osborne said after the game, “A great result here travelling away on a Friday evening, everyone played well and hopefully we have done enough to confirm fourth spot.”

Roster/Scorers: I Manley 30, C Canham 21, G Heaman 10, J Lawes 5, C Carter 5, R Camp 4, M Board 2, B Stokey 2.


Weymouth Tropics 33 – 40 Dorset Storm B
Weymouth Tropics 28 – 31 Dorset Storm A

In the opening game of the night’s games Storm B exploded to a 13 – 4 first quarter lead after Weymouth went into a 4 – 0 lead.  Tropics kept up the pressure outscoring Storm B with Jordan Daniels and Matt Clark-Williams. Weymouth opened the second quarter going on a 7 – 0 run, via scores from Jake Kinder and Josh Turner.  At the half, Tropics gave a strong fight back only trailing 17 – 20.  Storm continued to struggle and get into any rhythm as Weymouth tied the game at 29 heading into the final quarter. Unfortunately, a different Storm team came out in the final quarter, opening with a crucial 8 – 0 run and finishing the game 40 – 33 winners.

In Weymouth’s second game they squared off against Storm A. A tight first quarter saw Storm A lead 11 – 8, behind some strong play from Tropic Gerry Legg. Continuing their strong performance in the first period, Weymouth got right back into the game taking advantage of numerous Storm fouls, trailing 15 – 14.  Starting the second half, Turner helped Weymouth remain competitive, soon followed with back to back baskets from Daniels. The final quarter was again a nip-and-tuck affair as both team exchanged baskets, Weymouth coming up short with their foul shooting, giving Storm A 31 – 28 win.

Coach Alex Fuhrmann, “unfortunately in our last 2 games we failed to seal the double win to lock the league title. In both games we outplayed our opponents over stretches, though unable to do enough for victories. It’s been a pleasure coaching the lads this season, we had a shot at the title through some solid play and look forward to them moving up the club ranks.”

Roster: Jordan Daniels, Josh Kirby, Josh Turner, Matt Clark-Williams, Gerry Legg, Jay Willson, Jay Zhou, Taine Mackay, Jake Kinder, Joe Heffell.