Local Rugby: Semi-Final joy for Weymouth & Portland U13's

youth rugby

Published at 8:08am 12th February 2015.

Weymouth and Portland under 13’s travelled to Bournemouth to lock horns with a well organised Oakmeadians side that had already inflicted two narrow defeats on the visitors this season.

Weymouth and Portland under 13’s travelled to Bournemouth to lock horns with a well organised Oakmeadians side that had already inflicted two narrow defeats on the visitors this season. 

With a place in the Dorset and Wilts Plate final at stake both sides were visibly up for the challenge at kick off, and so it showed in the opening exchanges with play swinging from end to end whilst both sets of players settled into their game .

It was the Weymouth side that began to turn the screw in the 5th Minute when from deep inside their own half, a fine flowing passage of play from the backs saw centre Ned Bennett race towards the line only to be called back by a blast of the referees whistle for a forward pass.

The Visiting forwards had grown in confidence and had started to dominate the breakdown by applying pressure in important areas of the field; this pressure would reap reward when in the 8th Minute Jaden Claridge completed another well worked team try by collecting the ball midway inside the hosts half, evading the attention of several defenders and finishing off in style to give the visitors the lead. A successful conversion the boot of Robert Hunter meant Weymouth had opened up a 7 point lead over their hosts and created a solid platform on which to build. 

Oakmeadians looked for an immediate response with a quick tap penalty and attack down the left hand side of the field but some resolute defensive work by the visitors meant that there was no way through for the hosts.

On 16 minutes a dominant Weymouth pack drove over the ball to secure a scrum against the head, this allowed Number 8 Frankie Read to gather and run in the visitors’ second try of the afternoon from 30 yards out.  The momentum and confidence was building from the away side and it wasn’t long before Weymouth would extend their lead even further with another trademark jinking run from Jaden Claridge who unlocked the home defence to pull out a 17 point advantage.

The remaining 5 minutes of the first half were played in the centre of the pitch with some nice interplay and tough tackling with neither side really creating the breakthrough; that was until with the last play of the half when Frankie Read once again showed a turn of pace to break the Oaks defensive line and run in Weymouth’s fourth try of the morning leaving the halftime score as:-   Oakmeadians  0 – 22   Weymouth & Portland

The second half began with the hosts showing great determination to claw back the deficit with a period of sustained pressure inside the Weymouth & Portland half.  Some strong tackling, solid defending and excellent work by the visitors at the breakdown ensured that they were able to preserve their lead until the 29th Minute, when from an Oakmeadians scrum on the Weymouth 10 metre line the visiting forwards once again managed to secure the ball against the head. Some quick thinking by scrum half Nathan Calton led to the ball being fed through the hands and out to winger Ben Tracey, who turned on the pace to weave through the home defence and claim his third try of the season.

The scoreboard was ticking again 10 minutes later when Frankie Read crossed the whitewash to claim his third and the visitors sixth of the afternoon and send Weymouth & Portland into a lead of 32-0 with the resulting conversion calmly slotted over by Ned Bennett.

The remaining 8 minutes of the game were played inside the Weymouth half as the hosts went in search of a deserved try, however they were met with the same grit and determination that had been shown by the Weymouth defence all day.

At the final whistle the final Score was :-  OAKMEADIANS RFC   0 – 34  WEYMOUTH & PORTLAND RFC